Friday, January 28, 2011

Lemon Par/t/y

Tea_Pain: After spending much of my life sucking from the Lipton teat, I branched out to Darjeeling /t/. As of about 6 years, I'm still a BIG FAN of Darjeeling varieties. I saw this special in the Dobra menu and went to town on this black /t/. I brewed the first batch of the "Degu" /t/ and slowly found the scent of a lemon grove in the air. Actually, it was a lot like huffing Pine Sol if you stuck your nose in the pot... The tea tasted a lot like lemonade, only without the citrusy bite. Now, this was a 1st flush of Darjeeling, so I expected it to be a little more "delicate". Turns out this was by far closer to a green /t/: it was lighter in color, wasn't nearly as thick as a black tea, and was a lot easier on the caffeine. I could see this more as an iced tea, or add some honey and we could call it "Lemon Par/t/y". Think about it, Dobra.

DukeOEarl: After Tea_Pain was finished with the first steep, I had my turn with this "lemony" /t/. It certainly smelled like lemons, yet it also smelled like tabbouleh. After a few more sips, a tomato smell captured my attention. Its taste was rather acidic and citrus-like, similar to tabbouleh with the standard ingredients such as tomatoes, lemon, and parsley. Suddenly my tongue became partially numb. I guess this tea has the power/chemicals to numb your tongue.

Tea_Pain: Going off Duke's comment, one thing I really didn't like about the tea though was how it essentially numbed my tongue. I felt like I burned my tongue and couldn't taste a whole lot by the end of the first brew. The feeling eventually wore off, but when I finished off another round I felt like I had just gone through a really bad makeout session (see: freshman year of high school). I guess if I wanted to be emo, I'd drink a lot of this /t/ so I could be fully numb. However, I'm not a big fan of dragon tattoos and Insane Clown Posse.

DukeOEarl: The third steep had a very apparent tomato blanching smell, and I recalled a time when I was making pasta sauce anda meataballs. The tongue numbing effect seemed less severe too. It's interesting how the flavor changed over the course of the brew. It went from an emo citrus tea to a tomato, hairy Italian tea. Either way, we've had worse.


What: "Degu" 1st flush Darjeeling (Dobra Tea Room)
How much: $2.00 special (cause Tea_Pain's better half is Jewish)
What kind: Black
Taste: Lemons--> tomatoes --> blanched tomatoes
Repeat Drinkability: 7/10 (I love drinking me some horse tranquilizer)
Manliness: 7/10 (Darjeeling is the champagne of teas so it's like High Life right? Its sufficiently manly)

No comments:

Post a Comment